[Sca-cooks] GLAZED APRICOTS

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 06:35:30 PST 2001

>Thanks a lot Olwen!!!
>I guess this is what I am looking for, never having done it, I;m not >sure.
>btw, what is 'hard tack' stage?
>If you have another recipe to shrare, I'd love to look at it .
>Thanks again for your help.
>Phillipa

Oh.  Hard crack stage.  300 degrees.  Drop a bit in some water and it
separates easily and when you fish out the threads they do not bend but are
brittle.

You might try this fruit glaze which you can keep in the fridge for a while
and just re-heat a little before use.

Boil to the jelly stage:
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup cleaned chopped fruit (apricots, plums, raspberries, etc.)
2 medium apples chopped, skinned and cored
a little red food colouring (optional)
1 tablespoon butter

Strain mixture when cooked.  Cool.  When the jelly is about to set, spread
it over the fruit to be glazed.

Then, of course, there is the cheater method as follows;

Begin with fruit canned in syrup.
Boil till thick then mash and strain
For each 1/2 cup add 1 teaspoon cornstarch or arrowroot and
1 tablespoon sugar

Olwen