[Sca-cooks] Cooking Spam

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Nov 9 05:55:56 PST 2001

Dunbar, Debra wrote:

> During tough times growing up, we'd eat fried bologna.  Mom called it
> "Mexican Hats" because it popped up in the middle like a sombrero.  We kids
> loved it, and had no idea we were eating it because it was the day before
> payday and all the other food was gone.
> Wrynne
>

>>Ok now I don't normally eat this stuff just because but when I have it
>>struck me as something like Fried Bologna (YES I ATE IT COOKED).

Okay, an assignment for those with extensive online research resources. Can anybody pleazzze find Russell Baker's essay from the New York Times entitled "Francs and Beans". It is a parody of food writing done by a world-famous news columnist and survivor of the American Depression era, and features a pretty scathing commentary on fried bologna, among other things. The article would be from 1975 or so, probably a Sunday Observer column, as opposed to one of his Op-Ed pieces.

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com