[Sca-cooks] Re: pantry foods was Cooking Spam

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Nov 9 17:20:09 PST 2001

Jennifer Whitbeck wrote:
> Mini-rant:
> Who on g*d's green earth would actually can a potato?
> Much less eat the finished product? Unless you were
> moving to a bomb shelter...>
> I don't mean to offend anyone, but if someone's got a
> plausible answer, I will be better for the knowledge.
I thought that this was done because they didn't know if
they would keep or not and this way they were safely put
up for later use in stews or soups...
There was an era when everything was canned at home...
if it existed and could be eaten later they canned it...
Too many Home Ec courses....and the Depression of the
1930's also warped the senses... something about never
letting anything go to waste ever again...
Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis