[Sca-cooks] Need Recipes for Yule Contests...

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Nov 9 18:07:48 PST 2001

Mercy Neumark wrote:
> "Best Authentic Dish: Make your potluck dish from an authentic pre-1600
> recipe to be part of this contest. Must bring a copy of the recipe to be
> eligible for this contest.
> "Best Dish Using Winter Vegetables: Those used in pre-1600 Europe,
and no yellow cheese so Her Excellency Ælfwyn can judge.
> Our Baroness is a veggie-terran : --Artemesia
---------------------------------
I'd think strongly about what the judges might really be
wowed by and go from there. What's not been done in years
past? Is there a strong tradition of any cuisine that would
be really appreciated more than others? (German over French, say
or Italian over English?) Are these main dishes or can they be
sweets and candies?  How many should the recipe serve?
Can they be served or reheated at the event site? Some dishes
travel...others don't. How far away do you live and what can
you transport without problems??? What markets and speciality
stores do you have access to that might offer unusual yet
appropriate foods? What can the dishes be served in that
would show them off to their best advantage? (Fancy cake plates--
make desserts; appropriate looking dishes for vegetables--make
vegetables, etc.) What's the budget and the time factors?
How many hours are you willing to devote to the project?
These are the sort of thoughts that come into my mind before
I'd even start with the recipe search.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway