[Sca-cooks] American vs. English muffins

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 11 17:36:57 PST 2001

The American muffin is a batter bread baked in a muffin pan (cupcake or
popover pan) with individual cups for the batter.  The leavening is commonly
baking soda or baking powder.  The muffin is supposed to billow out above
the cup in the pan forming a mushroom shaped roll.  There are some yeast
breads baked in a similar shape where the dough is allowed to rise in the
muffin pan, but they are usually referred to as dinner rolls rather than
muffins.

English muffins and crumpets are flat, yeast leavened batter cakes  cooked
on a griddle.  The batter is poured into a small cake ring and forms a bun
about 4 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick.  They are commonly split,
toasted and served with butter and jam, which fill the holes in the crumb
left by the leavening.

American muffins are closer to cakes while English muffins are closer to
breads.

Bear