[Sca-cooks] TURKEY GRAVY

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Tue Nov 13 12:37:13 PST 2001

Johnna Holloway said:
> We often don't have drippings because I have
> been smoking the bird in the driveway or porch
> in the smoker. No drippings...Also I tend to
> put all the drippings in the noodles.

Huh? "put all the drippings in the noodles"? Do you mean you
make your own noodles using the drippings? I thought noodles
were water and flour. Or you put the drippings in the water
you are boiling the dried noodles in? Noodles for Thanksgiving
sounds a bit strange anyway, but I guess I could imagine them
being served like mashed potatos or dressing with gravy being
placed on top. But since you are talking about not having
drippings for gravy if you do this, that doesn't sound like
what you are doing.

I've certainly been introduced to differances (regional and
otherwise) in food on this list!

To bring this back to period cooking, I notice that some
of the recipes given for making gravy here are quite close
to some of the period recipes. So, if you'd like to try a
period gravy for this Thanksgiving holiday, take a look at
some of the gravy recipes in this file:
gravy-msg          (8K)  9/ 1/00    Period gravy. Renaissance, not
medieval.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/gravy-msg.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net