[Sca-cooks] Wondra Flour

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 14 04:31:32 PST 2001

Gelatinizing?  If you have any particulars, I'd like to know.

Wondra is a blend of wheat and barley flours which have been milled into
extremely fine pellets that don't require sifting.

You can bake bread with it, but it is expensive for that.  It works well in
cookies.  And does well in gravies as it blends well with cold liquids which
can then be added as a thickener.  If you add it to fat and brown it, it is
very similar to regular flour and will definitely produce lumps if one isn't
careful (I had this wondrasly bad luck just two nights ago).

Bear

> Ok,
> Everyone's talking about Wondra flour on the list for gravy.  *what* is
> it?  Similar to corn starch?  Flour with other additives to it???  Tell
me,
> please, it's bugging me :-)

Wondra is a commercial product ("instant gravy flour" or some such) made by
gelatinizing wheat flour (or maybe wheat starch), drying the resultant goo
and powdering it. It can then be reconstituted in other liquids, even cold
ones, AFAIK. It's primary use is for gravies. I don't know if its thickening
power is affected by heat and/or browning, as ordinary flour would be, and
if there are any gluten components present they've already been formed and
cooked, so lumps are unlikely.

Adamantius