[Sca-cooks] Wondra Flour

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Nov 14 07:00:46 PST 2001

There seems to be a lot of comments regarding
exactly what WONDRA is...This is taken from
the General Mills web site. see:
http://www.generalmills.com/GMFlour/ourheritage.asp

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

In May, 1963 Gold Medal Wondra Instantized Flour
was introduced. It was an all-purpose flour in a
revolutionary new granular form. It was made by a
process of agglomeration of small flour particles to
make a more uniform instantized product. There were
no chemical additions in the processing and the
baking characteristics of all-purpose flour were not
changed. Wondra had the same nutritional food
value as any other enriched flour and was made of a
specially selected blend of wheats to make it
suitable for all types of baking. Wondra. was
particularly useful for making lump-free sauces and
gravies because it dispersed instantly in cold liquids.
It poured freely and evenly and measured the same,
cup after cup, because of its controlled uniformity.
Wondra was also dust-free. (The name was later
changed to Wondra Quick- Mixing Flour.)

Gold Medal Wondra Flour Pour ‘n Shake container
 introduced (labeled "Sauce ‘n Gravy in January, 1986)
(The Pour 'n Shake container was labeled "Sauce 'n
Gravy" in January, 1986.)