[SCA-Cooks] Medieval cooking for non-cooks

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 14 05:56:10 PST 2001

> I would love to have this to use for this Yule Revel or even better to add
> to the Florilegium file I'm wanting to create. Or possibly as a stand
alone
> article if it is long enough. Maybe you could just send me the new recipes
> as you replace others and I could just append them to what I already have
> there.

No problem.  I'll clean up a few and email them to you separately.  Any
preference as to ingredients?  I have meat dishes, vegetables, starches, and
a few desserts.  Most are the kind of things that pack well, for potlucks
and camping and such, or are easily cooked onsite.

> I don't think I've ever seen it nor heard of this article before.

Less of an article, just a class handout.  I've done variations on the
theme, from "How to Cook Period Food While Camping" to "How To Get People To
Eat Period Food" and so on.  They are not aimed at beginners for the most
part, except for people who have not thought about cooking period food for
their family, or while camping, or potlucks.  Most of the people have been
in for a while and are interested in period food but didn't know where to
start looking, or may be completely intimidated at the idea of cooking
something that was not written by Betty Crocker.

Face it, a "brand new beginner" is probably more interested in getting garb
together and learning persona stuff, than figuring out how to cook.  I get
them once they've had a feast or two, or have fallen under the spell of
someone encouraging more period looking camps and potlucks.  They know that
people in period ate food and had recipes, but don't know how to find them
or what to do with the cookbook they might have found.

My cooking crew for 12th Night consists of a couple people who have done
some period recipes, some who are wildly enthusiastic and completely
inexperienced, and a few random others.  By the time this is over, they will
all understand how to research and redact recipes and have cooked at least
one period recipe from scratch on their own.  Most of them came to me after
having one of the classes, then hearing that I am head cook, because they
want to see the process I reported in my handout, in action.

                                ---= Morgan

"What this country has needed for a long time is to kick butt."
                                                     ---=  Lewis Grizzard