[Sca-cooks] Stuffings, was turkey gravy

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Nov 15 08:20:28 PST 2001

I just knew that someone would ask. Ok the idea
was based on recipes found in
Rose's Celebrations by Rose Levy Beranbaum and
Christmas in the Heartland by Marcia Adams.

You cook a cup or cup and half of wild rice in a
mild beef stock until done.Drain off excess liquid.
 Add  1 cup toasted pecans, 3-4 ounces or so or a small
packet of the
dried Michigan cherries that look like dried raisins,
 some sauteed mushrooms and/or chopped onion if you want
mushrooms or onion (maybe up to a cup of these),
 1/4 cup unsalted butter, some chopped parsley
if you want parsley, season with salt and pepper.
Combine it all in a casserole and either microwave or
gently reheat in oven when you are ready to serve. You can
make it up early in the day. I don't recall that I made it
 the night before so I don't know how it would do overnight.
We didn't have leftovers so I don't know how it keeps either.
You have to adjust for what your family might prefer in terms
of the mushrooms, parsley, onions or the amounts of the pecans
or cherries. We had a great price that year on the cherries, so
I added more cherries than I might have in another year. If they
don't like straight wild rice combine some cooked brown rice or white
rice into the recipe. That also stretches it. Adjust the rest of
the ingredients if you have doubled the rice amount.

There, isn't this a typical holiday recipe... no precise amounts
just a relational account of how I did it.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

 I have found that there