[Sca-cooks] OT Rudolph an icon???

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Fri Nov 16 06:51:29 PST 2001

>> Ever seen what they do to a car?
>Yep, I can attest to the damage they do when they run at those parked cars at 65 mph
>and up. Those kamikaze deer can ruin an entire front end, warp your frame, everything. >Set up a cervine suicide hotline and make them all wear reflective orange vests, say I.
Deer,  heck! You should see what a wild turkey can do to a car! I once had a
windshield shattered, with blood and guts all over the place, thanks to a turkey
who didn't know that flying into a windshield (while I was still driving) was not
conducive to a long life. . .
At least you can sometimes salvage whatever parts of the deer didn't hit the car.
(A bunch of Standing Stones (my shire) people were coming back from an event
in a 3-car caravan. Front car hit deer. Deer now road kill. SCA guy pulls out
Swiss Army knife, field dresses dead deer by headlights. They duct-tape deer
to roof of car (that being the only place with enough room), and drive home.
Deer provided quite a few meals. Try _that_ with a dead turkey!)

>While we're venting our pet peeves... However the bl**dy h**l did Rudolph, star of a
>single rather inane song by Gene Autry, ever become a childhood icon?
Because it was Gene Autry, and because it was inane. We're dealing with American
culture here, right. <grin>

>An atheist holiday icon?
Hey! Christians have their icons, and Jews have their holy men! Why should atheists
be left out in the cold, so to speak?

Alban, in a very, very weird pre-holiday mood, looking forward to good turkey,
good company, and the west coast's biggest bookstore. . .