[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]Sotelties was OT Rudolph an icon???

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Nov 16 13:41:24 PST 2001

Peter Brears' All the King's Cooks, 1999, has
a color photo of a moulded Marchpane. It is a
large dinner plate sized marchpane that has been
 unmoulded and then colored. It was made using a
 reproduction wooden mold based upon
an illustration printed in 1827 of an early 16th original.
He has a full description with instructions.
He also has a great deal of information regarding
sotelties and sugarpaste works in general.

As for Byzantium, we may learn more about the foods and
cookery of that era when Andrew Dalby,
 THE FLAVOURS OF BYZANTIUM, ISBN 1-903018-14-5.
comes out from Prospect Books in England.

There are also several modern cake decorating books that
show one how to use food colors on flat sheets of gumpaste
to make flat artworks that can then be placed on cakes. I have
also seen a cake decorated with painted "gumpaste" minatures of
paintings that were placed on easles on the cake for decoration.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway