[Sca-cooks] Re:Sotelties was OT Rudolph an icon???

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 17 06:52:22 PST 2001

Stefan wrote:
>Speaking of icons, Icons are small portraits/paintings done in
> the Orthadox Church (see Icons-art, icons-msg in the RELIGION
> section of the Florilegium). I wonder if you could do one in
> sugarpaste/marzipan using food colors to make a soteltie? Any
> evidence of this having been done in Byzantium? I doubt sotelties
> were strictly a western European thing.

Sugar paste didn't exist as early as Byzantium, unless Byzantium was
still "operational" in the 1500s.  While I haven't been able to
pinpoint the first sugar paste recipes (Do you know, Johannae?), I
don't believe it started before 1500.  From implications, I'm
guessing that sugar paste first started in Italy somewhat earlier
than the recipes came to England.

When is the Byzantine cookery book from Prospect due out?  HRH
Valharic and I are having a Byzantine coronation...

Alys Katharine