[Sca-cooks] German Pickles

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Nov 23 16:47:00 PST 2001

Hi.  Given the general lack of mail traffic, I suspect everyone's off
doing other things (like shopping? <g>) today, but I'm here....
When I was making compote last year for Harvest Court, I used prepared
mustard made with yellow and brown seed, coarsely ground, soaked in
half-and-half cider vinegar and hard cider, spiced with the hippocras
spices from His Grace's Miscellany, and sweetened to taste with honey
(not very much of this).  This is my "standard" mustard for personal
gifts and largesse, and I happened to have some around, so that's why I
used _that_ type.
I wanted to think of the root-veggie compote (think I used carrot,
parsnip, and turnip, mostly) as sort of a "fresh" pickle, so I acquired
a 5-gallon food-grade plastic bucket (with lid), and made it all in that
a couple of days before the event.  It was late October, so I just let
it sit outside on my front porch, and it was fine.  Of course, I live in
MT, so YYMV, as far as the porch thing goes.
Does that give you any good ideas?
Maire, off to find out if hot sekanjabin is good for achey sinuses.....