[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving feasts

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Nov 26 13:58:14 PST 2001

ooh... my turn!

We had two Thanksgivings, which might explain why I am still in robe and
slippers!

Wednesday I got in the car and drove south, stopping to pick up my kids
in Eugene. As we pulled into Sutherlin (wee tiny town about an hour
south of Eugene, in the hills just before you get to the Sexton range)
we stopped at Papa Murphy's and picked up pizza and root beer. James
arrived at the house (his dad's place) about 20 minutes after we did. We
goofed off and ate pizza and played games and watched _Fantasia_ until
quite late... which might be why James and I didn't wake up until 11 am!
I had planned to be putting turkey in the oven then! Oh well, we didn't
have Aunt Myrtle to worry about, so we got it done when it got done, and
we sat down to eat a little after 8. A fashionable hour, don't you
think?

We had:

Turkey, with rosemary and sage stuck up under the skin
*My* dressing (bread, onions, fresh herbs, celery, mushrooms, raisins
and currants) went 	inside the bird
*James'* dressing (cornbread dressing- aberrant and heretical!) went in
a casserole dish
Mashed potatoes
Double batch of cranberry sauce (made fresh with cranberries- the secret
is fresh orange 	peel!)
Big platter of veggies and dip to eat while Mr Turkey (not my son!) was
cooking
Yams
James baked fresh rolls!
My spinach-mushroom tarts didn't work- I think they didn't want to be
baked and then 	dragged 200 miles in the back of a Volvo
The gravy was a little thin but tasted MAGNIFICENT!
I'm sure there was something else but I can't remember.

Oh- and pumpkin pie for dessert!

The second dinner- for 14- was Friday at Regina's. I did the Armoured
Turnips and another batch of pumpkin pies, and reheated the rest of my
cranberries. Much yummy food there but I was already dead from Thursday
and cleanup and the drive, and then I had to take James back down (we'd
left his van in Sutherlin) and I don't want to see I-5 again for
awhile... unless I'm going to see James, of course!

Ask Regina about Friday!

'Lainie
-who is doing her part to rid the Western World of leftovers!