[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving feasts

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Nov 26 14:00:55 PST 2001

And I should respond as well....my sweetie is going to be on the road for
the next month and a half, save for Christmas week, so we decided to have
what we've fondly referred to over the years as a "snow weekend"...we
pretend that we're snowed in and we can't get phone calls or anything like
that.  So, despite a couple of invitations for Thanksgiving dinner, we opted
to have a very private Thanksgiving together.  Just so's you guys will
know...he's a better cook than I am, so you can imagine!

We bought a fresh turkey from a local butcher, and cooked it with onions and
celery, with Jim doing his favorite basting thing.

The remainder of the menu:

Cornbread dressing (recipe from the Purefoy Hotel, Talladega, AL)
Giblet Gravey
Bourbon Sweet Potatoes
Brussel Sprouts with Apples and Bacon
Homemade Cranberry relish (apples & oranges)
Watermelon rind pickles, olives stuffed with garlic or almonds
Pickled Carrots
and a Mirassou Pastel Chardonnay...very nice!

For dessert, Jim made a Pumpkin Creme Brulee.

And I'm enjoying the leftovers immensely!!!

Kiri