[Sca-cooks] Re:Bacalao-was Thanksgiving feasts [SCA COOKS]

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Nov 27 18:23:50 PST 2001

Rob Downie wrote:

> The way my mother always did it was by soaking it in cold water for a few
> hours.  You then change to fresh cold water and repeat two or three times (just
> check how salty the soaking water is to see if you need to do it again).

I can only add to this the possibility that, if you have to soak it for a really long time, you may need to refrigerate it during soaking.

Somewhere I have a copy of "Cod: the Biography of the Fish That Changed the World" or some such. In it there is a memorable account of some French civil servant, I wanna say the mayor of Nice, stating in an interview that his favorite method is to sink the cod in _his toilet tank_, instructing his servant to flush every couple of hours. In theory, it's perfectly sanitary. I know around here, if the water flows backwards from the commode into the tank, you've got the health department on your case, so messed-up cod is the least of your worries.

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com