[Sca-cooks] Food Fight!!

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Nov 27 18:27:23 PST 2001

I am reminded that my former barony of long ago
sponsored a contest for catapults and war machines
that were to be built in a minature style suitable
for hurling bread balls (about the size of a ping pong
ball) across a room. This provided entertainment during
the feast (which was running rather late for a lot reasons
most having to do withthe fact that there was no working oven in the
place). Anyway the king was present and had been given
the use of a great machine that could toss one 30-40 feet, and
everyone was having a great time, until as luck wouldn't
have it, a lady was struck in the eye with a ball. She ended
up at the hospital with a damaged cornea. That was the
last "official" foodfight that I can remember that we
sponsored.

On the other hand, have you seen the recent junkyard wars
where they are building medieval catapults to hurl turnips
and pumpkins at fake wooden castles....

Johnnae llyn Lewis