[Sca-cooks] Kitchen tools question (mandolin)

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Wed Nov 28 07:06:27 PST 2001

At 12:02 AM 11/28/01,UlfR said something like:
>I've been considering getting myself a mandolin. The only ones I have
>found locally -- apart from cheepies -- is
>http://www.kitchen-classics.com/mandolin.htm and an all stainless steel
>one that looks similair.
>
>Any advice from those who have used them? Are they worth the price?
>Would the all stainless steel one be a better buy in the long run?
>
>UlfR

I bought an inexpensive mandolin recently, just to see how I liked it, and
how practical it would be.

It is amazing for doing feast preparation. If you need something julienned,
for 100, its impossible to find a power appliance that will give you a
presentable product without WAY too much work.  You could do it with a
knife, but that isn't terribly practical for those of us who have already
abused our hands/wrists beyond reason in our RL. I looked at the mandolin
you have there, and noticed a link at the bottom to amazon.com .

I checked your model, and then found the same thing for significantly less
($US79.99) at:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000505J3/qid=1006959236/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_66_4/103-0922506-2135844

The next step up model is at:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004SZ6O/ref=pd_rhf_p_1/103-0922506-2135844
(But it's out of stock at the moment).

I wonder if this is a price difference between Sweden and the US? In any
case ... You could try the $6.99 model first, and see just how practical is
it for you, then upgrade later. Or, just start off with the decent one.
They don't list the all stainless steel mandolin on amazon, but they also
don't have the world's best selection of kitchen tools (after all, they
started life as a bookstore).

Regards,
Maggie MacD.