[Sca-cooks] Mandolines

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Nov 28 07:18:20 PST 2001

There was a question like yours on the NPR show
The Splendid Table on Nov. 17th. The host
Lynne Rossetto Kasper had a call from someone
like you who was wondering about buying a mandoline
as a gift. they went through the various points on
the show about the pros and cons of the expensive
French imports versus the cheaper Japanese models.
The program is at:

http://table.mpr.org/listings/shows01_11.html

You can listen to it, if you want.
What they came to the conclusion about the item was
that in this case one of the Japanese models was probably
suitable and cheaper.

I own a Bron myself. I waited several years to buy it and
had made the decision that I would really use it and would
spend the money to get that model. I then waited until I got
a free shipping and discount offer before I actually did the
order. It still was a big bucks item.
They are an investment item, and not something to buy without
a great deal of consideration. (Unless you have big bucks...
which if that is the case by all means buy one...)
You can check for one at: http://www.cutlery.com/
One thing that may work to your advantage is that the dollar
is currently very strong against other currencies, so the
prices may be pretty good in the near future...
Hope this helps.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis