[Sca-cooks] Re:Bacalao a Braz & Macintosh Toffee recipes-long

Rob Downie rdownie at icenter.net
Wed Nov 28 15:38:28 PST 2001

I asked my mother about her recipe last night, so I can give you the ingredients
and the method, but no amounts cause she doesn't follow book recipes.  I am also
including a version from a Portuguese cookbook (it's written in english) "Uma
Casa Portuguesa - Portuguese Home Cooking" by Carla Azevedo ISBN 0-929091-22-1.
The Macintosh Toffee Bar recipe is sooo yummy and dead simple, provided you can
get a hold of the Macintosh toffees in the US, they may be a strictly Canadian
product.  They come in a plaid box, and are made by Nestle (1-800 387-4636).  If
you really want them and can't get them, I could ship them to you, but cost may
be prohibitive due to the weight, even though I am getting them by the case at
Costco and that would be in tiny Canadian dollars!

My mother's recipe for Bacalao a Braz:

Desalt and cook the cod, then shred it finely.  Cut potatoes in fine slices
using a mandoline.  Deep fry lightly, then drain on paper towels.  Sautee thinly
sliced onions and crushed garlic in olive oil, add chopped parsely and the
cooked cod.  You may also add a little white wine.  Sautee a little longer to
allow the flavours to blend.  In a casserole dish, alternately layer the potatoe
slices and onion/cod mixture.  In a small bowl, beat eggs with salt, pepper,
finely chopped parsely, finely diced garlic and even a little more very finely
diced onion.  Por this mixture over the casserole, gently poking at the surface
with a fork to alow it to mix in a little.  Cook in the oven until the egg is
coked (not very long).

Bacalau a Braz - Cod with Eggs and Olives (from he cookbook):

1 1/2 lb salt cod
1 1/2 lb potatoes
vegetable oil for deep frying
2tbsp olive oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup chopped fresh parsely
12 pimento stuffed olives, sliced, or large black olives, pitted and diced
4 eggs

   Chop everything before you scramble the eggs.  This dish is a meal in itself,
but it can also be served with soup or salad.  Cover cod with cold water and
soak for 24 hours, changing the water 2 or 3 times.  Drain off the water.  Cover
cod with fresh cold water; bring just to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15
minutes, or until tender (do not boil).  drain; when fish is cool enough to
handle, remove skin and bones and coarsely shred.  Set aside.
   Peel and finely dice potatoes.  in a large skillet, heat 1 inch vegetable
oilover medium high heat; cook potatoes in batches for about 2 minutes per side,
or until golden brown.  Drain well on paper towels.
   Drain vegetable oil.  Add olive oil to skillet and heat over medium-high
heat.  Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally for 3 to 5 minutes, or until
softened.
   Add cod, potatoes and parsely.  Carefully stirring to not mash the fish,cook
for 1-2 minutes, or until fish and poatoes are well blended and heated through.
Remove from heat and stir in olives.  taste cod and add salt if necessary.
    In a bowl, whisk eggs.  return skillet to high heat and slowly pour theeggs
into the skillet in a steady stream, wisking briskly.  Cook for 2 minutes, or
until curds have formed, but mixture is still creamy.  Remove from heat and
serve immediately topped with coarsely ground black pepper.  Makes 4 servings.

Macintosh Toffee Bars:

Melt together in a large saucepan, then remove from heat:
16 Macintosh toffees
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup whipping cream

Add to the toffee mixture:
10 cups corn flakes cereal
4 cups toasted sliced almonds

Press into a large greased jellyroll pan and let cool.  Cut into small sqares
and devour.  This actually makes a large amount, you could easily half the
recipe.

Faerisa