[Sca-cooks] Re: Lands (OT).

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Thu Oct 4 13:28:57 PDT 2001

	A fun regional misconception I've encountered
frequently involves Americans' total unfamiliarity with
the abbreviations of state names.
	I live in Idaho, abbreviated ID.  It seems like
half the phone solicitation services based on the East Coast
think that means Indiana.  As a result, I've gotten
advertising phone calls at 6 am local time (the northern
half of Idaho is on Pacific Time)!  When you complain to
these people about calling so early, they will actually
start arguing with you and declaring that they're calling
up at 8 or 9 am (depending on how off base they are).
Some of them will even argue with you about what state
you're living in (like I wouldn't know!).
	This has happened to me more than once, and to at
least a couple of my friends.  Sheesh.  Nothing like
waking up to a phone call at an ungodly hour, answering
it with the expectation of some terrible family emergency...
and then getting a credit card sales pitch.

		-- Ruth