[Sca-cooks] High Tea v. English Tea

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 5 06:07:59 PDT 2001

> Good horsey!  Anyone who reverses English Tea and High Tea deserves to be
> bitten.  Martha not so smart.  I should have her job.

Stefan asked:

"High Tea" is more of a meal, what Americans would call supper.  It is an
evening meal with real food, not just foofy little buttered bread bits and
cakes.  You could actually have a fairly substantial spread here, a real
meal liberally washed down with dark (strong) tea.

If by "English Tea" Selene means "Afternoon Tea" (is that right, Selene),
then it's more of a social occasion with refreshment, something like a
child's afternoon snack.  This is where you get the little cakes and
buttered bread.  They are more an accompaniment to the tea, which is the
beverage served, and the real aim is not sustenance but social.

Think a highly refined and genteel mid-afternoon cocktail hour, with no
alcohol or small sausages.

Here are some sites on the development of tea drinking in the West ( a
number of which are sponsored by tea companies, with the expected slant):

                http://www.teamuse.com/article_001203.html
                http://www.epicurean.com/articles/ie4.html

http://humwww.ucsc.edu/dickens/DEA/GEresources/Victorian.Afternoon.Tea.html

                                            ---= Morgan

"In the dark times, will there be singing in the dark times?
  Yes, there will be singing about the dark times."
                                             (Bertolt Brecht: 1898-1956)
Kathleen Rae - b. 9/15/01 - 7lbs 7oz - 20" - BEAUTIFUL