[Sca-cooks] Maggot stew, as threat... I mean, promised -- OOP, but seasonal

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 16:28:39 PDT 2001

OK, I said I'd post it, so here it is.  I don't actually
consider this just Hallowe'en-era, since I use it as my
base-line stew recipe (you know, the one you set out on the
counter and ignore; see my notes at the end).  But here's
the original, as swiped from some Hallowe'en website or
other:

Homemade maggot stew

2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 lb. stew beef, cut in 1-inch chunks
2 cans (14.5 oz) plain stewed tomatoes
2 can (10.5 oz) beef broth
1 tsp. thyme
1 bay leaf
3-4 medium carrots
1 c. fresh or frozen green beans
3/4 c. orzo pasta

     Place oil in stew pot on medium low.  Measure flour,
salt, pepper and garlic powder into plastic bag.  Drop in
stew beef, seal bag and shake until well coated.  Pour
contents of the bag into the stew pot.  Turn the heat up to
medium.  Turn the meat every 3-4 minutes, letting the meat
brown well on all sides.  Cook until the meat begins to
look crusty.  Add the tomatoes, broth, thyme and bay leaf.
Bring to a boil, then lower heat to low.  Peel the carrots
and cut them into small coins.  When the stew has simmered
for one hour, add the carrots and green beans.  Cover and
simmer another 45 minutes.
     Cook the orzo in a saucepan according to the package
directions.  When just tender, drain it through a colander
into the sink, shaking out any excess water.  These are
your maggots.  Add them to the stew pot and serve.

Oh, wait, here's a citation: from Gross grub by Cheryl
Porter.  ISBN: 0679866930.

Of course, when I make this I do things like leave out the
tomatoes, use "Old English beef rub" instead of the
prescribed spices, substitute a can of garbanzos for the
green beans, and add any potatoes and celery I have lying
around.  And a couple handsful of barley instead of the
orzo.  But I still use the recipe.

Pleasant appetite!

Dana/Ximena

=====
She takes us wanderers under her wing; sings us songs 'til the coming of the spring
Lifts our souls far into the night; fills our dreams with endless delight
...Angel of Darkness, Angel of Mercy, take away the sorrow, take away the pain.
     (Angel of Bells -- J. Lapidus)
What to do about Afghanistan?  For one idea, see: http://rawa.fancymarketing.net/index.html