[Sca-cooks] roasted grain beverages

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Oct 5 22:51:33 PDT 2001

Bethra asked:
> My question is:  Would something like Postum be peri-oid ?
>  This is an "instant hot beverage", "made from a special blend of
> roasted grains. POSTUM is a delicious, naturally caffeine free
> alternative to coffee or tea." (quotes from the label)
>  The ingredients are:  Wheat bran, Wheat, Molasses, Maltodextrin (from
> corn).  It's made by Kraft foods.
>   The flavor is sort of like coffee, I don't quite know how to describe
> it.  We used to buy it because my mom can't have a lot of caffeine. She
> still uses it all the time, I like it once in a while (prefer coffee).

The closest period beverage that I can think of to this Postum is kvass.
There was a recipe posted here just before Pennsic 29 on making some
using grape nuts cereal. Several of us had planned on trying to make
this at Pennsic, but for various reasons we didn't do it, so I can't
describe the taste to you. I'm not sure if it was ever done with roasted
grains, though.

For more on kumiss, check this file:
kvass-msg         (71K)  6/20/00    Russian drink made from bread or grains.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/kvass-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net