[Sca-cooks] Care Package from Olwen II

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Oct 8 09:53:23 PDT 2001

bill mayfield wrote:
>   Now for a Queston for the more knowledgeable , I am going
>    to make the Fine Poudre mix as found in The Medievial Kitchen
>   (pg 221)is the inclusion of the saffron critical or is it a
>    matter of achieving some slight coloration ? Aethelwulf
There are a lot of spice mixtures or combinations that are
detailed in various recipes. As this recipe in the original
is careful to specify quantities, saffron might be seen to be
an essential part of this recipe. You might for trial purposes
and to save on the saffron, make up a batch with saffron and
a batch without saffron and compare results. If you'll check
the Florilegium, there is a section on spice mixtures that will
give a number of variations and recipes.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway