[Fwd: [SCA-JML] [Fwd: [Sca-cooks] roasted grain beverages]]

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Oct 18 07:26:28 PDT 2001

Here is some more information on mugi, as requested, from another source
on the Japanese list....

Kiri
To: sca-jml at yahoogroups.com
From: Barbara Nostrand <nostrand at acm.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:22:57 -0400
Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] [Fwd: [Sca-cooks] roasted grain beverages]

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig! Mugi is quite ancient in Japan and is mentioned
as part of the creation mythos in the Kojiki. Of the various cereal
grains in Japan during antiquity, all but wheat were customarily boiled
and were frequently mixed with rice. Mugi is mentioned in the Engishiki
as well. If someone has access to a complete copy of the Engishiki and
the concordance for the Engishiki, then they can try looking it up.

There are iced drinks mentioned during the Heian period, but they do not
appear to involve mugi. The Ishinpou recommends boiling water prior to
consumption, so it may be possible that some people were drinking boiled
water and flavoring it in some manner.

Unfortunately, my two volume history of Japanese food does not
have an index. So it is really really hard to look stuff up in it. I
thumbed through it a bit, but not find a sufficiently early reference
to mugicha. It does have a section entitled "War and Food" if anyone
is interested in that. One interesting tidbit that I ran across is
the various prohibitions on alcohol consumption. I hadn't noticed
Japanese prohibition before, but it's there.

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir
					Amateur Scholar
| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM       |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est      |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu      |
| Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com  |
|                  vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com           |
|                  netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com  |
|                  com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net         |
|                  mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com      |
|		   techie.com, msn.com				      |