[Sca-cooks] Re: Mincemeat, was Favorite fruitcakes

A. F. Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 22 11:03:39 PDT 2001

These days it is almost always just fruits and nuts, but it originally was
meat, with the fruits and nuts. I have recipes (someplace, probably my
1920's or earlier cookbooks) calling for beef and suet. It is always wise
to check, for those for whom it matters...

I know the mince pie I buy at my local bakery is meatless, because it is
Parve, because that bakery tells us these things - speaking of those for
whom it matters! (It is Kosher.) They're dairy, I never have to worry about
suet, and obviously not lard either. Finding out if they used eggs would be
a bit trickier...

Anne