[Sca-cooks] Pears

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 22 21:27:28 PDT 2001

Gwyneth Banfhidhleir asked:
> October is currently Pear month for ohio. I picked a
> couple hundred off a friend's tree: I would appreciate any wine or mead/perry
> recipes. I have plenty of recipes for pear butter, jam, and jelly.

Well, there is this file in the BEVERAGE section of the Florilegium:
perry-msg          (9K)  8/24/99    A cider made with pear juice.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/perry-msg.html

And these in the FOOD-FRUITS section:
fruits-msg       (103K)  7/30/01    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruits-msg.html
fruit-pears-msg   (19K) 10/11/99    Period pears and pear recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruit-pears-msg.html

I seem to remember pears also being used in period compost recipes,
but in those they are just one item among many.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net