[Sca-cooks] re: Should I be frightened (now: Intro)

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 13:56:17 PDT 2001

--- Olwen the Odd <olwentheodd at hotmail.com> wrote:
> ><<There--doesn't Nanna's post prove that even
> >given a really obscure subject like this one--
> >the members of this list can summon up an answer...
> >and a source and more references....
> >All you doubters out there....>>
> >
> >I don't know whether to be impressed or scared.
> >
> >I think I'm going for the later.
> >
> >EEk!  Run away!
> >
> >--Artemesia (brand new to this list, walking into
>fish skin)
>
>Welcome to the list!  Stick around, it gets better!
>So, what's your
>specialty?  Where do you live?
>
>Olwen who is dying to make marzipan fish shoes!

Artemesia is one of my apprentices.  Her specialty is
ceramics and pottery, but I am seducing her to the
dark side of the for ... errr ... food!  Yeah, that's
the ticket!  She makes excellent pipkins.  She is from
Caid, the Barony of Altavia, and is their Baronial
Seneschal.

Huette, who is wondering why fish need shoes, let
along marzipan shoes ... :-)>

What she said!  (Hi Mom!)

I actually have a lot of other interestes (I'm not just a potter, contrary
to popular belief): all things asian, brewing (JUST started doing this a few
months ago), music (I play a few intruments), needlework (thanks to mom),
sclputure, leatherwork (thanks to Selene), painting, illustration, writing,
eating (my favorite!), inuendo and probably others.

Food stuffs: My interestes are in asian cusine, but I JUST started
researching period asian cusine, so I'm not at all sure if current asian
food (i.e. Japanese, Chinese, etc) have changed all that much since period
times (I can't tell at this point...doesn't really look like it).  I need to
save up for the "Feast for the Kahn" I suppose.  Kiri has been helping me
too between us talking about pottery and other stuff.  ::waving to my friend
in the East::

I'd like to research two things, actually...dim sum (i.e. I was told it was
period, but would really like to confirm this with documentation) and what a
period japanese feast would be (including all serving plates, cook wear and
the like).

Love watching Iron Chef...I keep changing my favorite one between Morimoto
or Sakai.  Of course, Sakai CAN peel the skin off an apple in about 10
seconds (just think how fast he could skin a fish...hmmm).

I used to be a KILLER baker in my youth.  (Well, I didn't KILL many people,
so I guess I wasn't THAT good.) ;) I enjoy making fancier pasteries (fruit
pasteries I guess you'd call them) and more interesting HIGH calorie sweets.
  Recently I was looking for a good, period fruitcake recipe...anyone have a
good one to share? ::hopeful look::  (And NO, I mean the fruitcake you bake,
not the fruitcake you avoid or place in mental institutions.) ;)

I'm thinking that Thanksgiving weekend will be my "Bake in"...hey, with all
the turkey eaten, you have to balance the tripitifan (excuse my horrible
spelling) with SOMETHING.  Sugar is good.  Mmmmm.

Too much info?  Probably.  Too much sugar from my lunch?  Never! (whoo-hoo)

--Arte