[Sca-cooks] re: Should I be frightened (now: Intro)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Oct 26 23:51:34 PDT 2001

Welcome to this list, Artesia.

If you think that a discussion on fish skin is unusual, then you haven't
been on this list long. If you wish, I can point you to some wierder
stuff that, when it has a connection to the period we study, has found
it's way into the Florilegium files from this list. And then there is
the even wierder stuff which hasn't gotten put in there...

> I actually have a lot of other interestes (I'm not just a potter, contrary
> to popular belief): all things asian, brewing (JUST started doing this a few
> months ago), music (I play a few intruments), needlework (thanks to mom),
> sclputure, leatherwork (thanks to Selene), painting, illustration, writing,
> eating (my favorite!), inuendo and probably others.

If you haven't visited the Florilegium, you might want to. I think there
are a number of files there that you might find interesting, such as
these in the CRAFTS section:
pottery-msg       (92K) 10/26/01    Medieval pottery, kilns. modern equivalents.
ceramics-bib       (9K)  7/20/01    A ceramics, pottery and tile bibliography.
pottery-whels-msg (28K)  1/24/01    Period pottery wheels. Types.
Building them.

Of course if you find that you are past the level of the stuff in these
files or disagree with things that are said, I will gladly consider adding
your comments to these files. Or even better, an article. I think a number
of the interests that you mention above are covered somewhere in the files.

> I used to be a KILLER baker in my youth.  (Well, I didn't KILL many people,
> so I guess I wasn't THAT good.) ;) I enjoy making fancier pasteries (fruit
> pasteries I guess you'd call them) and more interesting HIGH calorie sweets.

Check out these files in the FOOD-BREADS section:
bread-msg        (185K)  9/19/01    Medieval breads and grains.
breadmaking-msg  (218K)  5/23/01    Period bread recipes and re-creations.
brd-mk-flat-msg   (66K) 10/ 3/01    Period flat or unleavened bread recipes.
brd-mk-sour-msg   (58K) 11/13/00    Breadmaking -Period sourdough bread recipes.
flour-msg         (52K)  4/ 3/01    Types of flour. Sources. Period flour.

Or these in the FOOD-SWEETS section:
baklava-msg       (16K)  4/12/01    Period baklava-like layered pastries.
pastries-msg     (126K)  6/20/01    Medieval pastries. Recipes.
desserts-msg     (112K)  1/12/01    Medieval and SCA dessert recipes. Sweets.
Digby-Cakes-art   (12K)  6/30/01    "Excellent Small Cakes Revisited"
                                       by Tirloch of Tallaght.

Or even this one in the FOOD section:
cuskynoles-msg    (44K)  8/21/00    A medieval fruit-filled pasta dish.

> --Arte

Stefan

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net