[Sca-cooks] Homemade Marzipan Stuffed Dates

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Wed Oct 31 17:07:28 PST 2001

Hello Folks,
I am reading an online 'zine about Israel or more to the point, the food of
Israel and I thought I would share this  because it sounds delicious and it
is marzipan. I include the website because they have other yummy recipes.
Phillipa

http://www.gemsinisrael.com/e_article000039679.htm
Homemade Marzipan Stuffed Dates
by Esthi David

The honey mentioned in the Seven Species traditionally refers to date honey,
we have chosen to include a simple recipe using fresh or dried dates.

Marzipan

Ingredients:
3.5 oz./100 gr. Blanched, Ground Almonds
3.5 oz./100 gr. Powdered Sugar
Few drops of Rose Water or Almond Extract

For larger quantities increase almond/sugar by ratio of 1:1

Preparation:
1. Process all the ingredients,using the metal blade of a food processor,
until it forms into a dough-like consistency.
2. Form into small balls.

Dates Stuffed with Homemade Marzipan
1. Slice (fresh or dried) dates lengthwise and remove the pits.
2. Fill each date with a ball of Marzipan and press between both sides of the
date.

Serving Suggestions:
* Use dried apricot, which lends a bit of sourness to the Marzipan.
* You can also stuff fresh fruit, such as strawberries. However, these must
be served immediately, as the sugar draws out the fruit juices.
* Dip the Marzipan balls in hot chocolate and let cool.

Chocolate Sauce:

Ingredients:
100 gr. Bittersweet Chocolate, break up the cubes, or chop.
¼ cup Sugar
a bit of Milk
Margarine or Butter

Preparation:
1. Place chocolate, sugar and milk in a double boiler, or cook on a very low
flame, stirring as the mixture melts.
2. Remove from stove, add margarine or butter and stir until it melts.