[Sca-cooks] I RUINED MY POT

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Wed Oct 3 07:32:17 PDT 2001

> Last night DH burned one of my nickel-bottomed Revereware saucepans.  The pan
> became so hot that the sodder holding the nickel-bottom to the bottom of the
> saucepan became liquidy and oozzed out of the edges of the pan.  There was
> silver colored solder on the saucepan, on the electric element AND on an
> antique silver fork that my husband grabbed to try to get the sodder off.
>
> Question: Can I still use the pot? Will I poison my family? The nickel bottom
> seems to be still in tack.

I'm confused.  Was the nickle the entire bottom of the pan, or was it
elecroplated on the outside of the bottom?  The Revereware with which
I'm familiar has the copper electroplate on the bottom.  If so, I'd say
it's fine - the damage wasn't to the inside of the pot.  Otherwise, I'd
be concerned about other heavy metals in the sodder, now that it's been
damaged.

Reminds me of how I rather gloriously ruined a roommates
copper-electroplated Revereware pot.  I was heating oil for popcorn.  I
put the lid on the pot and turned to get the popcorn.  I dropped
something that rolled under the fridge, and I got down on my knees to
dig it out.  All the while not noticing just how long I was letting that
oil heat up under a lid.  Apparantly it became rather superheated,
because when I lifted the lid it ignited and burned so fast I can only
describe it as a fireball.  It flashed the copper right off the bottom
of the pot.  I slammed the lid back down and carried it outside to try
opening it again.  Ooh, boy, did the kitchen reek from that one.  I
don't think I ate popcorn for months after that.

-Magdalena