[Sca-cooks] Camp Stove Advice?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Oct 6 19:09:53 PDT 2001

Maire commented:
> There are a lot of other types of stoves out there (betcha Stefan has a
> file on them in the Florilegium <g>), including ones that let you put
> special "oven" attachments on them, and much larger stoves that work
> well for cooking for larger groups of people (and/or larger pots of
> food).

Well, thank you. However I don't have anything on modern camp stoves
in the Florilegium. I do have a bit on camp-ovens, including comments
about and on using the various small ovens that fit on top of camp
stoves.

I think the advice I've heard here is pretty good. The main thing I
would add to this, would be to get a propane stove, whether one burner
or two. Many of these can accept adapters to use the larger tanks of
propane as well as the smaller cartridges they come fitted for. These
larger tanks are useful when cooking feasts at primative sites or
for weeklong events such as Pennsic.

I do NOT recommend the Coleman white gasoline stoves. I used one of
those for years when my family was tent camping and then the Boy
Scouts. These are much more dangerous, tend to be much more difficult
to get a good flame out of and more difficult to transport with their
liquid fuels. While propane can leak, it doesn't spill.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net