[Sca-cooks] scottish foodstuffs

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Tue Oct 9 05:40:09 PDT 2001

> johnna holloway wrote:

> Are there _any_ pleasant, kind, British authors of the old school
> (except for Wodehouse and perhaps George Orwell, who may not be of the
> old school)? I've just been reading about Dickens' scathing remarks
> regarding America written after his five-month tour, which, it turns
> out, issue from a man who grew up in a slum much worse than the Five
> Points in New York (which he had decried as a sort of Hell On Earth),
> largely out of anger because, due to American copyright laws of the
> time, he felt he wasn't getting enough royalties from American sales. Of
> course, I told my wife about this and she said, "Oh, didn't you know?
> Yes, Dickens was a first-class S.O.B."

I'm not sure that's entirely fair, but a lot of
19th century English authors were most vexed by
American copyright protection (or lack thereof).
Kipling even wrote a poem about it. Interestingly,
for all his strange habits and attitudes stranger
still, Rudyard is said to have been a very nice
man, if highly eccentric. Of course he is of no
particular school I am aware of, other than that
of hard knocks and big words ;-)

I also heard some good things about Colley Cibber
(Actually I heard they made him poet laureate for
being such a dear man, since he couldn't actually
write for sixpence)

Giano