[Sca-cooks] Spice Mixes

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 9 09:00:19 PDT 2001

>Morocco.  It is a deep, rich red with a haunting almost chemical like
>aroma.  I can describe it better than that except to say that it
>stains the fingers when a single stamen is crushed between my fingers.
>Maybe that's the sign of freshness but probably not.  I dunno...
>
>Drakey.

That would be what happens when you pick it so I would assume it is very
fresh.  Sometimes, almost always with the ground stuff, they use other parts
of the crocus, actually the stamen which will do the same thing but not as
red in colour, to mix in with the saffron threads (which are NOT the
stamen).
Olwen