[Sca-cooks] Pumpkins

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Thu Oct 11 09:05:54 PDT 2001

>>Would it work as well with regular heavy cream, the kind used for coffee and
>>tea, rather than whipping cream?
>I fear not.  It *might*, it's worth testing I guess.  But to my knowledge,
>the only creams that will reduce (boil down), hence thicken, is the heavy,
>35% or so fat matter, cream.  I don't think the texture would be right with
>any other creams.  But then, I'm picky, and a "cream snob" :-)
>
>The cream most used in coffee and tea is referred often, in the US and
>Canada anyway, as "Half and Half".  I believe it usualy is 'round 15% fat
>matter.

I know about half-and-half, being a regular user of it in tea. But whipping
cream and regular heavy cream are not the same; one's got a couple of
ingredients added that (I believe) aid in keeping it whiped, and the
other doesn't. Your recipe called for whipping cream; I'm wondering
about regular, full-fat cream, the stuff that my local grocey store calls
"table cream".

Alban