[Sca-cooks] tongue and almonds -- a marzipan tongue?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Oct 12 07:45:00 PDT 2001

You might try a shop that custom butchers beef
for the home freezer and ask about the beef tongues.
Or USDA has local offices. Call and ask.

We used to buy almonds (when I was really active)
in 25 pound bags from a wholesaler of natural foods.
They were headed for the supermarket bins where you
measure them out by the pound in the little plastic
sacks. Check with some wholesale distributors.
(We froze what we didn't use at once.)

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

Chip wrote: SNIPPED
> Is it IMPOSSIBLE to find beef tongues?  Every single store and butcher
> I have called say they don't carry beef tongues, can't order beef
> tongues, and say they're illegal -- a so-called "questionable" meat.
> If I can buy pig intestines aka chitterlings aka chitlins aka offal,
> what could be so questionable about a tongue?
> Is this USDA policy?
> Speaking of flair -- I also can't seem to find any almonds.  Pecans
> and walnuts out the wazoo (correct usage? :), though.
for comparison is?" Iyad ibn Bisharo / Thráinn Tjúguskegg