[Sca-cooks] tongue and almonds -- a marzipan tongue?

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Fri Oct 12 07:59:13 PDT 2001

> We used to buy almonds (when I was really active)
> in 25 pound bags from a wholesaler of natural foods.
> They were headed for the supermarket bins where you
> measure them out by the pound in the little plastic
> sacks. Check with some wholesale distributors.
> (We froze what we didn't use at once.)

If you belong to, or know someone who belongs to, a co-op you can get
them at wholesale or close to it in 25 or 50 lb bags.  But, I seem to
recall that you're working on a limited time schedule, and this would
probably take a week.  Depending on whether or not a co-op has a
storefront, they either don't mark the price up at all or mark it up
very little, like 5% or less.  They're all about special orders, and
they love not having to find someone to take that 25-lb bag and scoop it
out into 25 1-lb bags.

-Magdalena
big fan of co-ops