[Sca-cooks] Catering question.

Nelson Beth grdygirl at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 14:46:01 PDT 2001

Shudder...shudder....yuck....bad memories...

The event that led me to the SCA was a friend of a
friend's "medevil" renewal of vows.  (My best friend
was doing the garb for the wedding party and I came
down the last week to help.)  They did a pretty good
job of capturing a SCA atmosphere for a daytriping
event.  It was in Pickens SC about 5 years ago.
Everyone was supposed to come in garb (mostly borrowed
from a semi-local costume company who got must of
their stuff from theater departments).  The Bride's
father wore his Knights of Columbus uniform because
after he was a "Knight."  They had gotten the local
SCA to send help and has a rapier fight in the hall
during the feast and a few heavy fighters outside
between the ceremony and the reception (very cute guy
down there who used to fight with a metal fan).
During the feast they had musicians and dancing
afterwards.  This was about 2 weeks after my first
event which was Storvik's Post Pennsic Revel.  I
vaguely remembered Hole-in-the-Wall as did one of the
local SCA people, but neither one of us remembered
what the music sounded like so we taught everyone
interested to dance it to whatever music the musicians
wanted to play.  We ended up the evening with the Time
Warp.  All of those memories are good...now onto the
nightmare...

The feast.  The Bride decided to go with catering from
a local resturant that she liked (we ate there about 3
times that week and I wasn't too impressed with their
mundane food but...)  Of course the menu was turkey
legs...don't remember all of the veggies but I want to
say either squash or carrots, and potatoes but the
final straw was dessert...the chocolate pudding that
comes in those big industrial cans served in those
frozen filo dough tartlets - served still in their
original plastic trays.  My now vauge memories do not
remember any food being served that was actually
period and even back then I knew enough to know the
basics of right/wrong.  For the money it cost to do
that feast I drool to think what could have been done
with just a smattering of research.

Also memorable that weekend was waking up the next
morning to the news that Princess Diana had died and
then going to Sacred Stone for the last day of their
Baronial Birthday celebration.

Orlaith