[Sca-cooks] Marzipan creations, & experiments

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Oct 18 12:42:19 PDT 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> >That's pretty much the plan.  Even if I can find such
> >a pan Morin is talking about "maximum of 80" so I
> >figure that there I will be making more than one cake
> >anyway.  I just think it would be nice to have such a
> >shape as this is the 2nd time I've been asked to do
> >someone's device and don't think it will be the last.
> >
> >Orlaith
>
> Oh.  I get it now.  Duh.  Go to the dollar store and get some of those heavy
> gauge aluminum flat things they say to put on the bottom of your oven.
> Scribe in the shape, get out your shears and cut out about two and a half
> inches out away from your scribe mark and bend up the sides, tuck over the
> top ends a bit with some plyers for a little extra studyness.  I used to use
> these things all the time to make molds.
> Olwen

Not knowing exactly what sort of aluminum thing she's talking about, it
would probably work although you would need to seal the seams
somehow. Foil is the fastest but least permanent way, welding the most
permanent but you have to find someone who does aluminum welding.

You can make temporary cake pans out of heavy cardboard covered with
aluminum foil, but it's not something you'd want to use for really large
or very deep cakes. Or at least I wouldn't--my capacity for making a mess
in the kitchen, especially the oven, is legendary. ;-)

Margaret