[Sca-cooks] re: gel transfer

Amanda Whiteley siancr at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 19 07:20:12 PDT 2001

For those who want to try gel transfer:  If the stuff in the grocery store
is too runny, pick up a tub of decorating gel at your local cake decorating
supplies store.  It's considerably stiffer.  If it's *too* stiff, just add a
touch of glycerine to smooth it out.  I prefer this stuff for the gel
transfer technique and have never had a problem with it.  Just tint it in a
colour that contrasts with your icing.  Remember to work quickly.  I find
that I get the best transfer by tracing over the design with a toothpick
once I've laid the parchment or wax paper on the cake.  Peel paper up
*slowly* afterward.

If the worst happens and you happen to place the design incorrectly or drop
the paper before it's positioned (been there, done that...), just go away,
pour yourself a stiff whisky to drink while the gel dries a bit.  Come back
in an hour or so and carefully pick off the gel with a tooth pick.  It
should come up fairly easily (not in a humid kitchen, though).    Smooth as
necessary and try again.