[Sca-cooks] A little diversion

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Oct 29 10:15:23 PST 2001

Vincent Cuenca wrote:

> Do you, or Have you ever:
>
> 1. Lectured complete strangers on the uses of unfamiliar foodstuffs?

Yes, and gotten some very strange looks for my pains!

> 2. Know what "rocket" is?

Know what it is, but don't think I've ever had any.....

> 3. Sneered at the lazy yuppie scum who buy premade polenta at the
> supermarket?

I've learned that doing this isn't a good idea, because invariably whatever one
sneers at, one finds oneself doing that very thing!

> 4. Grown your own herbs?

Yup

> 5. Grown your own vegetables?

Sure have!  But now, given a lack of time and a creaky back and knees...and
living in the land of wonderful roadside stands, I buy from those who do.

> 6. Grown your own wheat?

No........

> 7. Foregone buying ice cream because the soup bones have taken over your
> freezer?

That's why we have a large freezer in our basement.  I still occasionally run
into problems with things like chicken broth!

> 8. Made your own demi-glace?

Like others, I've reduced pan drippings, etc., but haven't continued to this
point.  Maybe I will one day soon.....

> 9. Own five mortars and pestles, but can't find your pepper mill?

Not 5, but 1 m & P and two suribachis...and my pepper mill lives on my stove
where I can find it easily!

> 10. Consider your mother a heretic for buying premade pie crusts?

They didn't make them when she was with us.  She mostly made cobblers and deep
dish pies with just a top crust, and did the toppings for those herself.  I'm
the heretic...I've never been able to make a good pie crust!

> 11. Subscribe to seven cooking magazines but mooch newspapers from your
> coworkers?

I would if I had any co-workers...;-P

> 12. Stayed up late reading Escoffier, Brillat-Savarin, or Julia Child?

Not these, but others....

> 13. Say to yourself, "I can cook better than this" at a trendy restaurant?

Oh yes!

> 14. Know the difference between a china cap and a chinoise?

I know what the latter is, but am not sure about the former.

> 15. Fantasize about meeting Charles Ranhofer, James Beard, or Martino da
> Como?

Yes...and many others besides!

> 16. Brag about your 10-inch Dick?

Don't own one of those, but I do brag about my Calphalon and my Japanese knives!

> 17. Know what the last question was about, you vulgar little creature, you?

I reiterate the comment about now being officially a "dirty o......oops...can't
say the O word or I'll get smacked...lady"!

> 18. Have a special carrying case for your knives, sharpening steel,
> whetstone, and knife oil?

Doesn't everyone who cooks feasts?

> 19. Spend hours in the "Used Equipment" section of the restaurant supply
> store?

I would if we had one!

> 20. Kept a sourdough starter alive for more than two months?

I don't do bread, but Phillip, my life-partner, does and he's done this.  Does
that count????  It's in my fridge, after all!

> Give yourself a point for every positive answer.

OK, so I didn't quite make geekdom...but I do think that 15 points is certainly
respectable...that is, if some of my variations count (see above!)

Kiri