[Sca-cooks] Help! OT

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Oct 30 03:55:52 PST 2001

Steve wrote:

>>I brush with oil and put under the broiler , turning until the peppers are
>>uniformly blistered and charred...then you put them in a paper bag for about
>>5 minutes to "steam".  Then you peel, seed, and do whatever you planned with
>>them!  Good luck!
>>
>>Etain
>>

> I also will shock them in ice water after or instead of the steam thing to
> help separate the skin.

FWIW, I was taught (and also observed firsthand) that the ice water thing tends to wash away some of both the pepper flavor and the charred flavor. I might consider it for a purely cosmetic use, though, as they tend to have a brighter color and a cleaner look. Sheesh, they _are_ cleaner! They've been washed! ; )

I've tended to roast peppers in quantity, and instead of the paper bag I usually just put them in a steel bowl and cover it tightly with plaswrap.

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com