[Sca-cooks] Meat Preservation Sources

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Oct 30 08:14:12 PST 2001

There seems to be some talk about meat
preservation so I thought I would mention
these books...

Food Conservation. Ethnological Studies.
edited by Riddervold and Ropeid.
24 papers from an international conference
held in 1987. ISBN: 0907325408
Pub. by Prospect Books, 1988.

Pickled, Potted, and Canned. How the Art and
Science of Food Preserving Changed the World.
by Sue Shephard. NY: Simon and Schuster, 2001.
This is new. no footnotes but there is a
bibliography. Quite readable.

For actual instructions on how to preserve at home
take a look at:
Stillroom Cookery by Grace Firth. McLean, VA: EPM
Publications, 1977.

Subject headings in case you want to do some
online exploring through library catalogues are

Canning and preservation-History
Food-Preservation-History

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway