[Sca-cooks] Re: herbal question

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Tue Oct 30 19:07:28 PST 2001

Alban the Congested wrote:

>I've gotten a steam inhaler for the occasional sinus-clearing thang?
>And I'm wondering if there are any essences of <herb> that would
>penetrate said sinuses better than just pure steam, that I could add to
>the water?

A lot of people would suggest eucalyptus but even the mints in general
are going to help you out with general congestion. I'm not a doctor (and
no smart comments about playing doctor!) so take this for what its
worth.

Consider bay oil which is often used in inhalations treating cold
symptoms. Jasmine oil is also considered beneficial in cases of irritation
or inflammation of the mucous membranes in the nose and throat. Consider
as well using an inhalation of Patchouli oil. All three (bay,
jasmine, patchouli)
are commonly recommended in home remedy books currently printed in
the US. In general, the aromatherapy literature supports the scientific
validity of these treatments (but you should read them yourself to decide).

What I'd be more concerned about though is *why* you're congested and
sniffing. Treating the symptom will, in the short term, likely make you
feel better, but without identifying the root of the problem (which is not,
by the way, a particularly Western period method of going about things)
you're likely to have the congestion last longer than if you treated the root
problem as well. And to be honest, if it goes on for more than a couple
of weeks, you would be well advised to seek out your health care
provider.

>(And the first person who suggests wasabi will be consigned to eating
>it for lunch. Only it. <grin>)

Better for treating tooth decay in the long term. The burn from wasabi
is too short lived to be of much use to your sinus clearing needs. Cayenne
is a much better choice for that. :)

>Are there good sources out there that list which herbs and decoctions
>thereof are good for which imbalances of the humors?

Yes. Even some of them are cookbooks. I have a bibliography of sorts that
is a listing of easily accessible sources of plant information that may
help you out with period research if you (or anyone else on the list is
interested. I posted it to the SCA Herbalist list and subsequently to the
Middle Kingdom Cook's list because of the requests generated. If people
here are interested, I'd happily post it here for people to use as they
see fit.

>And how does one do a proper decoction, anyway?

Decoctions are made typically from harder plant matter such as seeds, barks,
and roots. A standard preparation method is to take 1 ounce (25 grams) of
dried plant matter or 2 ounces (50 grams) fresh plant matter, and place it in
a non-reactive pan. Cover the plants matter with 1 pint (500 ml) filtered
water. Bring the mixture to a very gentle boil and simmer for approximately
20 minutes. Strain the plant matter out and add enough fresh water to bring
the total liquid up to 1 pt.

>  (Errr, no, not tea-type things. I'm
>looking for essences [....] the ones that are pure essence, which means,
>I guess, proper distillation of Essence of <Whatever>.

Ah. Yes, then essential oil (not fragrance oil) is what you're looking for.

>  I think. Does anyone
>have the slightest idea of what I'm talking about? I sure don't, for once.)

Yep. I think we've got it.

>Alban, sniffing away in Calontir

Iasmin, sniffing in sympathy in the Middle
iasmin at home.com