[Sca-cooks] Queston on Basic utensils

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Thu Sep 6 12:43:49 PDT 2001

On Fri, 07 Sep 2001 21:25:59 "bill mayfield" <wpmay at hotmail.com> writes:

>   As far as pots go am I better off with Cast Iron
>    or the ubiquitous stainless ?

      Stainless steel is easier to lift ... except for frying pans.  I
did a totally foolish thing when I moved back into the family house to
look after Dad.  I gave my cast iron fry-pan away.  I have never used
non-stick pots and pans, as most of my cook ware came from the Thrift
store.   I cannot adequately express my contempt for non-stick! ( I come
from a long line of Non-cooking types.)

      >   What about presses and peelers and graters etc etc ?

  As I said, I come from a long line of Non-cooking types.  Every gadget
I have ever been given has been *far* more hassle to clean.   Knives and
a plain box grater are the most useful, I think.

      Things I have found useful: a decent food processor; and a kitchen
timer with a handle.  The kitchen I cooked a Crown in had them, and I
could wander out of the kitchen.  It was fantastic.  I found one on a
heavy braided rope, that you can take apart to clean.  I paid $25.00 for
the timer back in the mid-eighties and have never regretted it!

     Good luck, and check out the Thrift stores!

    Elizabeth