[Sca-cooks] Hungarian foods

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Sep 10 10:30:05 PDT 2001

> jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
> > In upstate NY, goulash is a dish involving ground beef, macaroni noodles,
> > canned tomatoes and sometimes sloppy-joe sauce. And it still doesn't taste
> > like the world goulash sounds.

Rearranging things a bit here, Adamantius at the end of his message
said:
> BTW, the pseudo-goulash you describe is found in PA, too.

This is what I've had, too. Except I think Mom threw in chopped onions
and green peppers. No canned tomatoes but some kind of sauce that
wasn't sloppy joe sauce.

> This seems pretty subjective. I would bet a substantial sum (if I ever
> get one) that the original author of the sentiments in question would
> not be aware of or acknowledge any difference between gulyas, porkolt,
> paprikash, etc., and the kind of goulash you describe, which is
> essentially an early form of hamburger helper.

So, does someone have a good recipe for "real" goulash? And what
are these "gulyas, porkolt, paprikash"? Any reason to believe
these might or might not be foods from before 1600 AD?

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net