[Sca-cooks] Hungarian foods

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Sep 10 11:20:33 PDT 2001

> > > In upstate NY, goulash is a dish involving ground beef, macaroni noodles,
> > > canned tomatoes and sometimes sloppy-joe sauce. And it still doesn't taste
> > > like the world goulash sounds.
> Rearranging things a bit here, Adamantius at the end of his message
> said:
> > BTW, the pseudo-goulash you describe is found in PA, too.
> This is what I've had, too. Except I think Mom threw in chopped onions
> and green peppers. No canned tomatoes but some kind of sauce that
> wasn't sloppy joe sauce.

Yes, I forgot the onions and peppers. (Ok, ok, to me, this pseudo goulash
is a comfort food: my grandfather made it and I haven't had it since he
died.)

Lang's _Cuisine of Hungary_ is well regarded among the Hungarian cooks I
know. (Me, I don't try to cook Hungarian. I just eat.)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa