[Sca-cooks] Hungarian foods

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Mon Sep 10 14:27:17 PDT 2001

In a message dated 9/10/2001 1:37:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mark.s.harris at motorola.com writes:

> So, does someone have a good recipe for "real" goulash?

Haven't made this yet, but I am assured this is the real deal. Let me know
how it comes out.

HUNGARIAN GOULASH
Recipe from Jean Brust

Use a good cut of beef, lean, like heel of round or round steak. Cut into
small cubes- no more than i inch. Dice onions finer than usual for a regular
stew, and for a large amount one green pepper and one tomatoes, both coarsely
diced. Fresh garlic to taste.  It is impossible to use too much.  have the
milld Paprika handy. (I suggest having everything cut before you start,
because once once you add the garlic and paprika you have to be careful as
they burn easily.

Brown the meat on all sides, add the onions and garlic and stir until they
start to turn golden, not browned, then add your 1-2 T of paprika and stir
like crazy until it all takes on a nice redish brown color. Add water to
barely cover, the tomatoe & pepper, cover and simmer on low about an hour--
depending on how tender your meat is.

(Oh-- Anya used nothing but home rendered goose fat to brown in. Most recipes
I've seen call for lard.  But in truth since I must watch my cholestral, I use
cannola oil now.)

Tarhona is toasted farfel. Buy it at a deli or some supermarkets.
 Or cut potatoes into your goulash. I have bought gnokole (pronouced knowklee)
at the store too occassionally, but when everyone was home I made my own.
Directions on the Tarhona & gnokole are on the pkg.

"With girls I get no respect.  A belly dancer told me I turned her stomach."

     - Rodney Dangerfield